Care for your Genuine Panama Hat
As the proud owner of a Genuine Panama, to ensure many years of enjoyment from wearing your hat, it is important to remember that it is an individual master piece of craftsmanship, hand-woven from a natural fiber and it should be treated as such.
*La Marqueza does not assume responsibility for damage to the product resulting from alternative use or care that is not compliant with the instructions provided here.
How to care for your Genuine Panama Hat
- Do not touch your hat with dirty hands
- Avoid pinching or crushing the natural fiber, especially from the crown as it may eventually break
- Do not pull the hat from the edge of the brim
- Avoid wear it under the rain as it may lose its shape
- Do not keep the hat permanently stored rolled up
- Protect your hat and store it in the dust bag always
Cleaning your Panama Hat
- Your hat and sweatband can be cleaned using a damp cloth or a baby wipe - try to gently remove any dirt marks, avoiding the gold metal La Marqueza logo.
- Do not soak. Do not leave the garment in the water under any circumstances.
- Avoid rubbing too hard as this may damage the natural fibers of the straw
- To remove small stains from the straw make light circular motion on the affected area.
- We do not recommend using any cleaning agents or soap, as the colour may suffer irreversible alterations.
Reshaping your Panama Hat
Should your hat lose its original shape, you can steam it to easily regain its shape
- The brim can be reshaped using the iron steam on the lowest setting, using a clean damp cloth on, to ensure the iron does not come into direct contact with the straw itself
- To reshape the crown, heat up the iron and proceed to steam very well the inside and exterior of it - approximately six inches away from it for 30 seconds to a minute, ensuring that you get enough heat on
- Place the hat on your head when it is still damp and start to make the moulding shape with your hands, wear it for a moment until you feel the hat takes the desired shape
- Repeat the process if necessary